Popular blog featuring author interviews, book reviews, book tips.

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Saturday, July 19, 2014

A book must be interesting to the particular reader at that particular time - John Putnam


I was born in a small town in the western part of South Carolina. My grandfather ran a drug store on the town square and pretty much everybody knew him. It was the kind of place where you left the keys in the car and the house unlocked. Those were the good years.
By high school we had moved to a nearby city and the good days were gone. I got myself into a University a year early but that first year my father died unexpectedly. That put me in a financial bind. I had to work and go to school. It wasn’t long before I was exhausted. Things were not as I thought they should be. I needed a change.

I headed west with two friends in a beat up Volkswagen bug on the door of which I had painted “California or bust”, the same slogan so often seen on wagons heading to the gold rush in 1849. It was the first true indication of my interest in California’s gold. I graduated from the University of California at Berkeley a few years later.

Because of the university some of the smartest people in the world pass through here. There is a variety of ideas that cover far more than just the political ones the town is known far. And since San Francisco is only a few miles away across the bay the cultural opportunities are tremendous. From early rock and roll with Janis Joplin and the Jefferson Airplane to evenings at the San Francisco Opera, Art and artist flourish in museums both in Berkeley and San Francisco. Berkeley is a unique place. I loved the environment.



John Putnam



1.What do you write? 

Living in California eventually led to my interest in the California gold rush. Most of my writing happens during that remarkable period. California was the most remote place on earth in 1848. There were only around 10,000 people who were not Native American living there at the time. It took nearly a year for the news of gold to reach the east coast of the United States but when it did that December the enormity of the gold already found excited the people like nothing before.
In 1849 alone 80 to 100,000 people came to California, the greatest spontaneous mass migration in human history. San Francisco grew from almost nothing to 25,000 residents. 500 ships lay abandoned in the harbor. The gold country, virtually empty two years before, burst forth with new towns often little more than tent cities, but there was still no law, no courts, no jails, no schools or churches, no government to either help or impede man’s search for wealth, and almost no women anywhere. On the other hand saloons, often nothing more than a barrel of liquor sitting under a tree, were everywhere.
And yet, because of the gold, far more money was made in America in 1849 than ever before, and even more would be made the next year and the one after that. By 1850 California became the 31st state of the United States of America fulfilling President Polk’s campaign promise of manifest destiny—America from sea to sea—made six years earlier. The Chinese flocked to California in ever growing numbers signifying a tremendous accomplishment for mankind. The last great gap in the world had closed. East and west, for the first time in human history, were linked by the open waters of the Pacific Ocean

2.Why do you write? 

I write because I have to.The years of thinking on a variety of topics acts like steam in a tea kettle, the ideas need to come out. They mix with the history that also seeped into my pores and infuse my writing with a purpose. Around these ideas I create characters all of whom I throw into a pot, toss in a problem for seasoning and turn up the heat. Then I sit back and watch their interaction. The problem always gets worse before it gets better and I am often as amazed as you might be to see how the book finally ends.

3.For whom do you write? 

If you like action-packed books that deal with the problems of men and women who find themselves in harrowing situations then you will love my writing. Unlikely heroes and unscrupulous villain vie against the all too real backdrop of a time and place that began with so much gold available that there was almost no crime and degenerated to a situation where the abundant crime committed went nearly unpunished. There has never been atime in America more wild and free than the 6 years of the California gold rush and no other writer paints the pathos of this era better. 

4.By whom are you inspired? 

I’d have to go with Louis L’Amourfirst. Years ago I ran across him in a downtown magazine shop, a fairly new place with a decidedly old feel. To me his books were like potato chips, I couldn’t read just one.
I went through every one of his works they had. If we roasted marshmallows together on a summer night I would have to know if he ever gave any thought to writing something beside a Western. I’d bet a Steinbeck against a Hemingway he did.
Elmore Leonard I came across early in my life through his movies—3:10 to Yuma, Last Stand at Saber River, Hombre, Valdez is Coming, Mr. Majestyk—and I didn’t realize who wrote them until years later. It was then I started reading his books and a little later read his rules for writing.
They are earthy, homey rules and have no trace of pretense about them. He tells us that he wrote the rules to help him remain invisible when he wrote. He had to really believe that was important to a successful book but I would love to hear his explanation over a cold beer.
At the top of this short list has to be Mark Twain. I read Huck and Tom as a boy and loved them. Twain came west and started writing for a Virginia City newspaper before he headed to San Francisco where he met Bret Harte. Then he took off for the gold country and stayed in Harte’s cabin on Jackass Hill.
We have that connection to the gold rush in common. The story he wrote there, TheCelebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County, started his writing career, but it’s his understanding of people and humanity that impresses me. I post a quote from him on Facebook often and invariably get a lot of comments on it.
Twain touches people. His comments sound as though he said them yesterday. There is a timelessness about him that is uncanny. As we sip French brandy by that gold rush campfire, I’d like to know the secret that keeps his comments so fresh. Is it related to his compelling characters? Could I use it in my own writing?
Good characters are a must for a great book and Twain understood that best of all.

5 .Can  you share your current writing (Any small Story/Poem) or Tell your Future plan About writing? 

I think I’ll leave this one a mystery.

6. Give five pieces of advice to a new writer? 

Here are 5 of Elmore Leonard’s Rules for Writing plus a bonus.
  1.  Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose."
  2.  Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
  3.  Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
  4.  Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
  5.  Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip
My most important rule is one that sums up the rest: If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.

7.Give five pieces of advice to a reader?

Here are five I borrowed from Teddy Roosevelt. After more than a century they still sound good.

“A book must be interesting to the particular reader at that particular time.”

“The reader, the booklover, must meet his own needs without paying too much attention to what his neighbors say those needs should be.”

“The reader must not hypocritically pretend to like what he does not like.”

“Now and then I am asked as to ‘what books a statesman should read,’ and my answer is, poetry and novels – including short stories under the head of novels.”

“We all need more than anything else to know human nature, to know the needs of the human soul; and they will find this nature and these needs set forth as nowhere else by the great imaginative writers, whether of prose or of poetry.”

Your Website:
Facebook:
Twitter:
Books:
HANGTOWN CREEK
TALES FROM THE PROMISED LAND
INTO THE FACE OF THE DEVIL

Amazon Link:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot