Popular blog featuring author interviews, book reviews, book tips.

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Interview with Corinna M. Dominy

Where are you from?

Oregon. I live twenty miles from my hometown, where I grew up.

Tell us your latest news?

 I just published my second novel,"Marcus & Lyric", at the end of May
When and why did you begin writing? I've always loved writing, since I was a little girl. I had
always thought I'd write a book "someday", because I wanted to be a wife and mommy first. I
wanted to make sure I wasn't neglecting my kids or putting them or my husband second, so I
contentedly waited until the time was right. (Okay, contentedly is an exaggeration ;)) I would
constantly get story ideas, but I'd file them away. Or, if they really "bugged" me, I'd make
outlines, sometimes even writing out chapter outlines.

We had four kids in less than five years, so I was quite busy.

Then, my husband's aunt suddenly passed away. It was traumatic for the whole family. After the
fact, I felt compelled to write and to not make any excuses. Being a Christian, part of my drive to
start writing seriously was wanting to share God through the gift He gave me. So, being a night
owl already, I started using my nights to write. My first manuscript took five years to write. (I
usually hand write out my manuscripts first)

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

When I finally published my first book, "Matters of the Heart".



What inspired you to write your first book?

I can honestly say, my husband's aunt. She was a go-getter, and after she passed, I knew I
couldn't waste anymore time on "someday".

Do you have a specific writing style?

I've written two books, both Christian romance, however, I have one in the works that is not. And
I have a few action/thriller types in my "files" I'd love to pull out and get written.
As I stated earlier, I usually write out my manuscripts by hand first. To me, I don't sound like
myself if I type it all out. The reason I have to say "usually," is because my current WIP came to
me one day while I was editing "Marcus & Lyric" and, since I was already on the computer, I
just started writing!

How did you come up with the title of your book or series?

The characters end up telling me the name of the book, so far. Quite literally, in the case of
"Marcus & Lyric". :)
Quickly, give us the title and genre of your book and a 30-word or less tagline:
"Marcus & Lyric"
Christian Romance
When Marcus Coulter holds roommate interviews, he's surprised to have disheveled and
bedraggled Lyric Bell show up. And he shocks himself further by inviting her to live with him.

Who is your intended audience and why should they read your book?

Anybody who wants to read it. I enjoy sharing God's love through writing.

 Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it? Why did you go with that particular
image/artwork?

I publish through Amazon right now, so you have to be particular with your cover art and
ensure it's 100% original. I knew I wanted a music theme for "Marcus and Lyric", so I took a
picture of a part of a picture of music I have.

I'm really computer illiterate, so I usually have my husband help format the pictures on the
computer in Paint (?) I think that's what it's called. I explained what I wanted, but he gets full
credit for the cover.

Side note: On my first book, "Matters of the Heart", I didn't know about needing an original
picture, so I felt kind of pressured, since the cover was the only thing holding me back from
publishing. Inspiration struck (as it sometimes does under pressure) and I decided I'd take a
picture of hands shaping a heart. (Think Sharon Osborn when she was on "America's Got
Talent.") I asked my kids for a volunteer and our youngest son was the only one who did. I had
him lift his hands toward the sky. So, his hands are on the cover of my first book!

Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

My all-time favorite character is Marcus Coulter. He's human and makes mistakes, but still
tries to do the right thing. And he's very caring, for a guy.

Give us an interesting fun fact or a few about your book or series:

All of my books are proofread by my grandmother.

When I was a baby/toddler, she proofread for our town's newspaper. (Still does)
When I was about five, or so, she became a missionary with Wycliffe Bible Translators. She did
all of their proof reading/editing, wherever they sent her. About fifteen years ago, she
retired. Now, as I mentioned, she's back to proofing the town newspaper for something to do
that she's good at.

What other books are similar to your own? What makes them alike?

Just because they are Christian romance, like mine, I guess I'd say Liz Curtis Higgs, Karen
Kingsbury, Lori Copeland and Jannette Oke. BUT, I am trying to break out of the mold of the
"typical" Christian writer, who can sometimes come across as sterile and unrealistic.

Do you have any unique talents or hobbies?

I do like to sing. Ok, that's not unique, but my husband leads one of our worship teams at our
church when his work schedule allows. Being involved in the ministry is something we enjoy
doing together. (He was gifted with a much better singing voice than I have)

How can we contact you or find out more about your books?

My e-mail is corinnam.dominy@yahoo.com
Find me on Facebook under Corinna M. Dominy
Follow me on twitter @corinnam.dominy

My books are on Amazon:
Marcus & Lyric http://www.amazon.com/Marcus-Lyric-Corinna-M-Dominy-book/do/
B00KFYE6FQ/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1?i
Matters of the Heart http://www.amazon.com/Matters-Heart-Corinna-M-Dominy-ebook/do/
B008VKKKX8

Goodreads:
Marcus & Lyric http://www.goodreads.com/book/sh

Matters of the Heart http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16120729-matters-of-the-heart

Barnes and Noble: http://m.barnesandnoble.com/s/Corinna-M-Dominy?keyword=Corinna+M
+Dominy
What can we expect from you in the future?
It's best not to expect anything specific. Who knows where my imagination will take me? ;) As
I mentioned, I have eclectic ideas coming up, including some action/thriller, maybe even
adventure!

Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published?

Take your time! I had to re-publish several times on my first novel because I was SOOOO
impatient and excited to finally be published. I didn't make sure my proofreader was done
first. It's a rookie mistake, but one I can now caution other first timers about.
HAVE FUN!!!! If you lose the enjoyment of writing, what's the point? And don't get down on
yourself if you feel you haven't reached a goal, whether it's for the daY, month, or year.If
you're still working toward it, it's better than simply quitting. So DON'T QUIT! YOU CAN DO
THIS!

Is there anything else you’d like to say?

Thank you for taking the time and energy to post all of these different interviews for us Indie
authors!
And now, before you go, how about a snippet from your book that is meant to intrigue and
tantalize us:
In hindsight, Marcus knew he should have started the conversation with his mom over the
phone differently. Instead of, "Hi, Mom. So...I found this girl...."
Of course his mom pounced on that and it took him a good five minutes to explain the real
circumstances.

Lynne Coulter had always wanted her second-born, and youngest, to find "a nice girl that we
can meet." So, after Marcus was finally allowed to explain, he found he was holding his breath to hear
what his mom would say. He knew she wasn't one to pass judgment, but he also wasn't sure
how she'd feel about him sharing his apartment with a strange girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot