Popular blog featuring author interviews, book reviews, book tips.

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Interview with Author Harmony Lawson


 
Harmony Lawson

Where are you from? 

Grass Valley, California

Tell us your latest news?

 I’m getting married Friday the 13th in March 2015. I’m also about to finish my 5th novel by the end of the summer and hopefully it will be available this winter. I’m already plotting my 6th novel

When and why did you begin writing?

 I’ve always been creative. I’ve been writing seriously since 2009 but it was on and off before that. I began writing because I enjoyed it then a few years ago I discovered I was writing to heal from a troubled past.

When did you first consider yourself a writer? 

After my first novel was published in 2010.

What inspired you to write your first book? 

I’ve always had scenarios stuck in my head. Also, I always have pretty crazy dreams. I started writing a vampire romance about ten years ago but after the Twilight Saga came out I didn’t want to write about vampires anymore. That particular book took just about ten years to write. When I decided to write about angels, the words and stories just flowed through me. I actually have outlined twenty novels I plan on writing in my lifetime. The list keeps growing.

Do you have a specific writing style? 

I like writing in first person because I can place myself in the story. I feel my voice is better that way. I love writing young adult/ new adult books partially because I still feel like a teenager sometimes.

How did you come up with the title of your book or series? 

I played around with words then did research on them.

Quickly, give us the title and genre of your book and a 30-word or less tagline: My currently released book is My Mechanical Angel. I have it as new adult. A young woman's meeting of a stranger with a mechanical eye leads her on a journey to uncovering truths which will bring peace to their home towns.




Who is your intended audience and why should they read your book?

 I write for anyone interested in reading my work. I’ve had people from 13 to 100 read my book. I feel they should read my book simply for enjoyment and for an experience into my imagination.


 Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it? 

Why did you go with that particular image/artwork? Emma Michaels designed my book. I’m keeping her. She caught the imagination of my work. We liked going with a more realistic image.


Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

 I liked Grandpa. I thought he was an ornery old coot yet lovable. His character made me laugh a few times. Like the old grandpa who sits on the front porch swatting flies and drinking moonshine, telling tales of how it use to be when he was younger.



Give us an interesting fun fact or a few about your book or series: My Apocalypse of Angels series was inspired by a real meeting of a man named Jason. It was an intensely brief meeting. I would have run away with him if I wasn’t married at the time. He did invite me on a dinner date that evening but I sadly declined…if only I would have known that marriage wouldn’t last….


 What other books are similar to your own?  What makes them alike?

 I’ve had my books compared to Mortal Instruments and Hunger Games. I think in Mortal Instruments because the protagonist is also a female who paints and is in love with an angel, and Hunger Games because of the voice. I honestly haven’t read either but I’ve seen the movies.


Do you have any unique talents or hobbies? Aside from writing, although I don’t feel it’s all that unique, I paint mainly landscape and seascape paintings. I’ve also illustrated a book called the Dare by Terri L Kovalcik. A college mural art teacher said my paintings look more like illustrations. I thought that was interesting and went with it. I also like the outdoors, like gardening and camping.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dare-Terri-L-Kovalcik/dp/1497482100/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406498113&sr=8-2&keywords=the+dare+by+terri

How can we contact you or find out more about your books?
Best way to contact me is through my links. Here are my links: http://www.harmonylawsonauthor.com/,
                  


What can we expect from you in the future? 

I’m hoping to release the rest of the Apocalypse of Angels soon. It’s a three book series that’s already written. It’s under contract through Freedom of Speech publishing. My Mechanical Angel is on my own through Createspace. My current project is almost finished and I’m hoping to have it released by the end of the year. It’s my 5th written novel. My 6th one is in the beginning stages. I have twenty novels planned, outlined and ready to start. The list keeps getting bigger. I plan on being around for a long time.



Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published? 

Write what you know, keep it simple, and always keep passionate about what you love to do.


 Is there anything else you’d like to say? 

Na. I think that covered everything.


And now, before you go, how about a snippet from your book that is meant to intrigue and tantalize us:

“Who’s there?” I say trying to keep my voice calm.
No answer.
“If someone’s there, you’d better let me know,” I call out in a warning tone. I almost sound like Ma for a minute. I can’t help but smile at the thought. “I’ll go get my Pa’s gun!”
Still there is no answer. Maybe it is all in my head, and it is just the wind of the storm blowing things around. I turn to leave, but I’m stopped by an unknown voice that sends a shiver up my spine.
“Good evening, miss, and please don’t get your Pa’s gun,” his voice is soft and calming. I am not afraid of this voice. I grab a pitchfork just in case. I’m not dumb. A girl needs to be cautious. I turn around to see where the voice was coming from.
“You just come out of the darkness, and we shall see.” My voice wavers a little bit, but I hold the pitchfork and try to keep it steady. I don’t want him to see me shaking. I’m not sure if I’m shaking from fear or from being chilled. He is a stranger, after all. I’m not used to having strangers around.
He steps out of the shadows and into the light of the lantern. His dark features are beautiful and instantly has me enthralled, and I know where he comes from. His skin is pale and seems to glow in the lantern light. The light is casting strange shadows on his face. He definitely isn’t from anywhere around here. I’ve been raised to believe the inhabitants of Seraphton are devils, but this tall gentleman looks anything but normal. His dark brown hair is styled in a short spiky way. He is wearing a blue shirt, a shiny black vest with black pants with silver zippers all over, and black leather boots. He looks quite soaked from the rain. One glance from his dark eyes makes my heart do a flip-flop. There is something different about his eyes. And his silver metal wings on his back certainly interest me. How intriguing. I wonder if the wings are attached to his back. Who is this man?
Is this a coincidence or what? Here I am tossing and turning about Seraphton all night, and now one of its inhabitants is standing in front of me. Is this fate?
He steps closer, and I hold the pitchfork tightly. He stops and holds up his hands. “It’s ok, Miss. I’m not going to hurt you. I just crashed into your field, and with the strength of the storm, I had to seek shelter. My name is Aleksander Galloway.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot