Popular blog featuring author interviews, book reviews, book tips.

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Interview with Susan Mac Nicol


Where are you from?

I am originally from England but moved to South Africa when I was just a young girl. Then in

2000 my husband decided we’d had enough of the crime in SA and came over to the UK with my

two children.

Tell us your latest news.

Writing wise, I’m pretty busy. I write M/M Romance. I’m busy with a six book novella series

called Men Of London. Book 1, called Love You Senseless, is finished and I’m currently working

on book 2, called Sights and Sinners. I also have a plan for another, longer book which I’ll start

writing towards the end of this year. It will be a fairly complex one so is going to need time.

When and why did you begin writing?

I had an idea for a book back in February 2012, and was inspired by a British actor called

Benedict Cumberbatch to create a character for the story. So I started writing and haven’t really

stopped. I’ve always written, I just needed a push in the right direction to actually try and get

something published.


Author Susan Mac Nicol




When did you first consider yourself a writer?

As I say, I’ve always written, but I think I truly considered myself a proper writer when I saw my

first book all ready to go. It was a momentous occasion and one I’ll remember forever.


What inspired you to write your first book?

I fell head over heels with Cumberbatch and wanted one of my own. So I wrote a book where in

my mind, I could indulge all the fantasies I wanted to play out. Sounds crazy, but it’s true.


Do you have a specific writing style?

Not really. I can write in different genres- thriller, erotica, paranormal, contemporary - and I

enjoy writing in either third or first person. I don’t think I have a specific writing style, I think the

readers are probably the ones to ask that question to!


How did you come up with the title of your book or series?

The Men of London series was a commission by my publisher who wanted something London based but

written as a series of six novellas. So they named the series, but I named the title of each book based on

what it was about. The first book is called ‘Love You Senseless’ and is about a man who loses his sense of

smell and taste in a fire.

Quickly, give us the title and genre of your book and a 30-word or less tagline:

Love and Punishment

Contemporary M/M Romance thriller

‘Someone is leaving a trail of bodies throughout London, and Detective Anthony Parglietto is determined

to end the violence. Then he’ll return to the man he loves.’


Who is your intended audience and why should they read your book?

My audience are those ladies and men that enjoy reading gay romance books, about two men coming

together and falling in love. It doesn’t matter whether my readers are gay, straight, women, men,

lesbian, transgender etc ...forget the labels. As long as they enjoy a romance with a lot of hot sex and

interaction between two men, my audience is as wide as it can be.


 Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it? Why did you go with that particular image/

artwork?

I am very lucky to have an incredible Editor in Chief called Chris Keeslar, who is himself a bit of an icon in

the Romance industry genre of publishing. He’s creative and he seems to get me and my stories to the

extent that even if I never saw a cover for one of my books, I know it would be almost perfect. He’s very

collaborative and always invites my opinion and feedback. I love the images for the latest cover as it just

encapsulates the essence of this story - cheekiness, angst, strength and crime.


Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

I actually love my character Anthony. He’s a strong Alpha male, loyal, fierce, dangerous and very sexy.

He’s a take charge kind of guy who’s not afraid to make decisions that may not be palatable to everyone.

He has a warmth and a fierce sense of humour and is a true protector which just makes him all the more

attractive and irresistible.

Give us an interesting fun fact or a few about your book or series:

There’s a rather unusual (and not recommended in any way) use for a rolling pin in this book; a statue of

David by Michelangelo takes centre stage at some point ; and Flynn actually started out as Elaine as this

was originally written as M/F.


 What other books are similar to your own? What makes them alike?

The M/M genre is absolutely huge. New authors are coming on board every day. I honestly can’t say that

anything makes them alike as they all have their own way of writing and stories. Other than they are all

gay romances, I’d rather the readers tell me what makes mine different from anyone else’s -if it does, of

course.


Do you have any unique talents or hobbies?

Nope. I can write, that’s about it. Oh and sing a bit. I sang in a band when I was much younger, in my

teens. My daughter keeps trying to convince me to go on X-Factor or Britain’s Got Talent .Three words..

Not-on-your-life.

How can we contact you or find out more about your books?

Here are all my links

Susan Mac Nicol

www.susanmacnicol.com

Twitter - https://twitter.com/SusanMacNicol7

Facebook - http://susanmacnicol.wordpress.com/

My Blog - http://susanmacnicol.wordpress.com/

Boroughs Publishing Group - http://www.boroughspublishinggroup.com/authors/susan-mac-nicol

Dreamspinners Press LLC - http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/index.php?cPath=55_1043

Linked In- http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/susan-mac-nicol/48/a44/602/


What can we expect from you in the future?

My current project is working on Book 2 of my Men of London series. It’s called ‘Sight and Sinners’

and carries on with Taylor’s story where Book 1 left off. I’m hoping to have this finished in a couple of

months, if not sooner. I’m also working on edits for the third book in my Starlight series, which is the

final chapter in this whole story. I’ve also got plans to write a really epic story once I can slot it in, which I

don’t want to say much about at the moment. It will be called ‘Living On Air’ and is about survivor’s guilt

and the consequences of being the only person to survive a really horrific family event. It’s going to be

very emotional, full of angst and relationship ups and downs and of course, romance and love –and sex.






Do you have any tips for readers or advice for other writers trying to get published?

Just keep writing. Write what you feel, what you’re passionate about. Don’t give up or think you can’t

do it or that you’re no good. That’s not for you to decide. Your job as a writer is getting that story down

on paper/into a PC and letting others decide whether it’s good enough. It’s about YOU doing what you

want to do and writing what you want to write. Yes, perhaps in the end it won’t turn out well and you

won’t get published. Or you’ll self publish and it won’t go down well. But YOU wrote it. And as long as

you make sure that it’s the best it can be, quality, editing and story wise before you put it out there- it’s

all you can do. Oh-and please don’t let it languish in a drawer. If you don’t submit it to publishers, or self

publish, you’re not going to get anywhere fast


 Is there anything else you’d like to say?

I think I’ve been here long enough



And now, before you go, how about a snippet from your book that is meant to intrigue and tantalize us:

Detective Inspector Anthony Parglietto strode around the kitchen in Flynn’s home. He ran a

large, tanned hand through mid length, curly black hair as he growled into his mobile phone.

“Jesus, Rupert, I’ve told you already! He’s fucking gone, and all I have is this bloody cryptic note

signed BTK, and we all fucking know who that is. Yes, the one I’ve just sent a picture of Flynn off to your

phone. His satchel is still here, the front door was open- that’s not like him at all. He’s normally ultra

cautious. You know how bloody paranoid he is.”

Anthony looked down at the note on the kitchen table, pinned there by a full tomato sauce

bottle, a condiment he knew Flynn refused to have in his kitchen. Anthony had never even been able to

get him to buy it for his own bloody fish and chips, for God’s sake, so the bottle must mean something.

As he'd arrived at Flynn's basement flat off the street around eleven thirty pm, Anthony had

seen the open front door. He’d made his way inside. Flynn’s old, beaten satchel in which he stored all

manner of things was sitting on the kitchen counter, with his mobile in it. His laptop bag was at the side

of the kitchen table. Flynn's house keys were on the table top. The note had been sitting on the table

and Anthony had glanced at it, thinking Flynn had to dash out quickly and left him a note. The hand

written words on the cream note paper had frozen his blood.

Anthony. I have your little fuck buddy. I’ll send him back once I’m finished with him, but he might

not be in the same mint condition. Sorry about that. You might just have to have sloppy seconds tonight.

Your buddy, BTK.

He’d not touched the note, just called the station and told them to get the Scene Of Crime team

down here fucking quickly, midnight or not. Once he'd hung up, he'd had time to process the chilling

words, fearing what they meant. Then he’d found another note, addressed to Flynn on the cream

coloured notepaper, lying on the floor by the sink.

By the time he reads this, you’ll be mine. Inside and out.


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot