Popular blog featuring author interviews, book reviews, book tips.

Breaking

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

I enjoy writing, which I never thought I would say - Deborah Thompson Gladwell


I am from the small town of Downsville, NY which is located in the Catskill Mountains.  I have lived in several rural towns in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and West Virginia before moving to Huttonsville, WV in 1976.  My father was a drilling and blasting superintendent for road construction, but once my sisters and I started getting married, him and mom made WV their permanent home.  My parents were my first examples of love.  No matter where dad went, we stayed together.  We are a very close knit family. My roots are deeply planted in West Virginia and I considered Huttonsville to be home.
My husband Kenny and I have been married for thirty seven wonderful years.   I am a proud mother of two grown sons, Kevin and Eric Gladwell.   I have always worked outside of home, but never let that interfere with family life.  My family is very important to me and I love them very much.  They are my life.

 
Deborah Thompson Gladwell


I am a Sunday school teacher and have been very active serving the Lord for twenty seven years.

1.       What do you write?

 Christian Children Stories, Poetry

2.       Why do you write? 

I enjoy writing, which I never thought I would say.  I used to hate after summer break, when my English teacher always asked us to write an essay about what we did over summer vacation.  My mind would go blank and I would always complain, “I did nothing, absolutely nothing.”  Writing back then was a real struggle for me.  

As an adult, I find writing to be a learning tool geared toward me.  I say this because I research topics I want to write about.  I find the goal of writing makes studying the bible fun for me.  It doesn’t seem like something I have to do, but something I enjoy doing, a hidden bonus.
My ultimate goal is to write stories that reach and teach about the bible and life in an enjoyable way.

 3. For whom do you write? 

At first it was for me (I have many poems about my family), and then it developed into for others.  For many years I was in charge of our church bulletin and if I couldn’t find a poem I liked, I just wrote one myself.   This is as far as my writing went until I decided to write short teaching stories for my Sunday school class.  These stories always included questions about the lesson.  Each week I printed a copy for my students and then we read and answered questions together.  I usually insert some humor into my stories or questions.   I just like humor and I find so do my students.   Then gradually these lessons evolved into series of stories.  This is how my first published book “The Adventures of Shy Spy Time Traveler” came about.

4. By whom are you inspired?  

 I’m inspired by God.  As I said earlier, writing was always a struggle for me until I started using writing as a tool to study the bible.  It then expanded to encouraging friends and family with poetry and then a method to teach my Sunday school class and now has evolved into a book that children enjoy on all levels.


5 .Can  you share your current writing ?

 My book is an excellent tool to teach about Moses, the ten plagues of Egypt and parting of the Red Sea, but it also has some of Shy’s dog buddies hilarious antics.  Here is an excerpt from The Adventures of Shy Spy Time Traveler.  
          Shy and Stinky decided to go for a short walk along the river edge. They were having a truly wonderful time catching up on what was new in their lives. Of course, Shy couldn’t tell his pal about his time-traveling spy business, even though he really wanted to. As they walked, Shy, thought about how much he missed spending time with his friend. It caught him by surprise when Stinky suddenly took off.
          “It’s that funny-looking cat again. Come on! Let’s catch him!” Stinky barked in excitement as he ran out of sight.
          Shy’s eyes almost popped out of his head when he saw Stinky’s funny-looking cat. The creature was black with a white stripe that went from his head to the end of his bushy tail. “Stop, Stinky, stop!” Shy warned as he ran trying to catch up with his friend, but his warning fell on deaf ears.
          “Here kitty, kitty, kitty…Come to daddy,” Stinky barked as he continued his chase.
          “Stinky, please stop!” Shy panted. “I have something important to tell you. Just stop for a minute, and listen to me.”
          “Can’t we can talk later? I have to catch that weird pussy cat,” Stinky said as he continued to chase after the creature.
          “That’s what I need to talk to you about. It’s not a…Oh my!” Shy gasped as he came to a screeching stop and turned and ran in the opposite direction. “Run away, Stinky, run away!”
          Unfortunately, Stinky did not heed the warning. He thought the critter was surrendering. It had stopped, and all Stinky could see was its raised tail. “It’s surrendering. See it is waving his tail in defeat.” Stinky barely got the words out of his mouth when the creature sprayed him with the most awful-smelling perfume he had ever smelled. “Oh my, what is that smell? It is downright sickening,” Stinky cried and howled in distress.
          “Man, Stinky, your name truly suits you today. You Stink!” Shy said while holding his nose.
          “I don’t know what happened!” Stinky cried. “I didn’t know cats could do that! I’m out of the cat-chasing business forever!”
          “Cats can’t spray, you silly. That was not a cat, Stinky. You should have listened to me!”
          “Yes, it was!” Stinky argued. “I saw one just like it the other day in the distance, and Dirty Harold said, ‘There goes a stinking polecat.’ I guess I know what he meant by stinking. This is awful, just awful…I can’t stand this smell!”
          “Stinky, a polecat is another name for skunk! Don’t you know anything?”
          “A Skunk! A polecat is a skunk? Whatever am I going to do to get rid of this terrible odor? I’m sick,” Stinky complained as his face turned a greenish-sick color.
          “Sorry, ole buddy, but you’re stuck with that smell for a while. I have to go home before I get sick. I suggest that you find your master. Maybe he can help you.”
          “Okay, I got to run,” Stinky yipped as he ran toward his home to find his master.

6. Give five pieces of advice to a new writer? 

1) Write about what you know.  I find as I get older and wiser, I have a much broader span of knowledge than I ever imagined (family, friends, bible, etc.).  
2) Let your imagination flow don’t try to be too technical about everything.  
3) If you enjoy it, others probably will too.  
4) Try it out on someone, (a friend or in my case - my class).  Gauge their reactions.  
5) Don’t be like me.  It took me years to get up the courage to submit a book.  Remember nothing ventured, nothing gained.

7. Give five pieces of advice to a reader?  

1) Read what you like.  It is relaxing.  

2) Read something clean, wholesome and spiritual.  It’s good for your soul.  I think this world would be a better place to live if our minds weren’t filled with murder, lust etc.  

3) Just because something is clean, wholesome or spiritual doesn’t mean it is boring. 

4) Read something educational and expand your mind.  

5) Reading if done right can be like going to the movies only you never leave your house. 



Twitter:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot